THE AMERICAN LEGION
WAYNE E. MARCHAND POST 28
KITANAKAGUSKU-SON, OKINAWA, JAPAN 901-2316
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING – 24 JANUARY 2019
Commander Cathey called the General Membership Meeting of Wayne E. Marchand Post #28, Department of the Philippines, to order at 1803 hours in the Post Home.
The following Post Officers were absent from the meeting and were excused by Commander Cathey: Judge Advocate, Comrade Frease; and Historian, Comrade Clemons.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES:
The Minutes of the January 2019 Executive Committee and December 2019 Membership Meetings were available for review and there being no additions, deletions or corrections to the December Membership Meeting, they stood as read.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Comrade Morrow reported the following:
(1) The total for Membership Year 2019 is 244, broken down as follows: PUFL – 82; New - 54; Renewals – 107 and Transfers-in - 1.
(2) There are 17 new applicants to be voted on at this meeting and if approved the Post Membership for 2019 will be 261.
HOUSE COMMITTEE: Commander Cathey reported the following:
(1) The Canteen will host a Super Bowl party on 4 February. The doors will open at 0600. There will be a potluck breakfast, with the kitchen open at 0500 for those who would like to use it. Those attending are encouraged to bring a dish.
FINANCE COMMITTEE: Comrade O'Brien reported the following:
(1) The Post and Canteen Financial Statements were available for review.
(2) There was a correction made to the November expenses. The money given to the Boy Scouts was added.
POST SERVICES OFFICER: Comrade Barnes reported the following:
(1) Comrade "Papi" Links is not doing well in assisted care.
HISTORIAN/CHILDREN/YOUTH: No Report.
AMERICANISM: No Report.
BALLOTING OF APPLICATIONS: Comrade Morrow read the names of the new applicants:
(1) There were 17 new applicants to be voted on. Comrade Barnes made a motion to accept the applicants as read. The motion was seconded by Comrade Morrow and passed unanimously. There were 3 applicants present and sworn in by Commander Cathey.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS: No Report.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None.
NEW BUSINESS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
(1) Comrade Meinhart made a motion to have the Post pay for the American Legion Softball Team uniforms for 2019 at a cost of $5,000.00. The motion was seconded by Comrade O'Brien and it passed unanimously.
(2) Comrade Cheramie made a motion for $200.00 a month to assist with the Gate 2 clean-up to feed the volunteers. Also mentioned the clean-up goes the second Saturday every month. The request was tabled until the Executive Committee meeting.
(3) Comrade Hoover presented Commander Cathey with a first place trophy won by the American Legion softball team.
(4) Post elections for the year 2019 were held in strict compliance with the American Legion and Post OK28 Constitution and By-Laws. The results of the election were:
Post Commander - Mark Frease
Post 1st Vice Commander - Mike Chin
Post 2nd Vice Commander - Thomas Quinn
Post Judge Advocate - Lawrence Occomy
Post Historian - Thomas Meinhart
Post Chaplain - Steven Miller
Post Sergeant-At-Arms - Martin Mooney
Post Executive Committee Person - David Messenger
Post Executive Committee Person - Barney Jaramillo
The newly elected officers for 2019 will be sworn in at the next General Membership Meeting on 28 February 2019.
GOOD OF THE AMERICAN LEGION: Commander Cathey reported the following:
(1) Clean up at the International Cemetery will take place on Sunday, 27 January 2019. Anyone desiring to participate, please meet in the parking lot at 0900 hours.
(2) The Widows Fund Donation was $257.00, $70.00 of which came from the Chili Fund donations. The winner of the fund opted to donate his share back to the fund.
Since no further business came before this Committee, Commander Cathey adjourned the meeting at 1857 hours. The next regular Membership Meeting will be at 1800 hours on 28 Febuary 2019 in accordance with the Post Constitution and By-Laws.
Prepared By: Approved By:
W. E. Morrow C. H. Cathey Jr.