THE AMERICAN LEGION
WAYNE E. MARCHAND POST 28
KITANAKAGUSKU-SON, OKINAWA, JAPAN 901-2316
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING – 23 JANUARY 2020
Commander Frease called the General Membership Meeting of Wayne E. Marchand Post #28, Department of the Philippines, to order at 1805 hours in the Post Home.
The following Post Officer was absent from the meeting and was excused by Commander Frease: Adjutant, Comrade Morrow.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES:
The Minutes of the January 2020 Executive Committee and December 2019 Membership Meetings were available for review and there being no additions, deletions or corrections to the December Membership Meeting Minutes, they stood as read.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Comrade O'Brien reported the following:
(1) The total for Membership Year 2019 is 247, broken down as follows: PUFL – 74; New - 47; Renewals – 125 and Transfers-in - 1.
(2) There are 3 new applicants to be voted on at this meeting and if approved the Post Membership for 2020 will be 250.
HOUSE COMMITTEE: Comrade Chin reported the following:
(1) The Canteen will host a Super Bowl party on 3 February. The doors will open at 0700. There will be a potluck breakfast, so please bring a dish. There are Super Bowl Boards behind the bar for those who want to participate.
FINANCE COMMITTEE: Comrade O'Brien reported the following:
(1) The Post and Canteen Financial Statements were available for review.
(2) The Post Federal Tax check has been mailed out.
POST SERVICES OFFICER: Comrade Kozlesky reported the following:
(1) The bulletin board has been updated with VA information.
(2) Comrades "Papi" Links and Dennis Provencher are requesting visitors.
(3) He delivered mail to Comrade Schell.
(4) The VFW Services Officer was on island and helped 20 Veterans submit their claims. He will be back in two months for a follow up.
HISTORIAN/CHILDREN/YOUTH: No Report.
AMERICANISM: No Report.
BALLOTING OF APPLICATIONS: Comrade O'Brien read the names of the new applicants:
(1) There were 3 new applicants to be voted on. Comrade Cathey made a motion to accept the applicants as read. The motion was seconded by Comrade Jaramillo and passed unanimously. There were 2 applicants present and sworn in by Commander Frease.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS: Comrade Quinn reported the following:
(1) He is still in discussions with the Fire Department and Sam's Cafe.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: None.
NEW BUSINESS AND CORRESPONDENCE:
(1) Post elections for the year 2020 were held in strict compliance with the American Legion and Post OK28 Constitution and By-Laws. The results of the election were:
Post Commander - Mike Chin
Post 1st Vice Commander - Mark Frease
Post 2nd Vice Commander - Lawrence Occomy
Post Judge Advocate - John O'Brien
Post Historian - Thomas Meinhart
Post Chaplain - Steven Miller
Post Sergeant-At-Arms - Martin Mooney
Post Executive Committeeman - Luke Boggs
Post Executive Committeeman - Adam McMichen
(2) The newly elected officers for 2019 will be sworn in at the next General Membership Meeting on 27 February 2019.
(3) In accordance with the Post Constitution and By-laws, a Special Executive Committee Meeting will convene at 1800 on 30 January 2020.
GOOD OF THE AMERICAN LEGION: Commander Frease reported the following:
(1) Clean up at the International Cemetery will take place on Sunday, 26 January 2020. Anyone desiring to participate, please meet in the parking lot at 0900 hours.
(2) There was $101.00 donated to the Widows Fund. The winner of the fund opted to donate his share back to the fund.
Since no further business came before this Committee, Commander Frease adjourned the meeting at 1840 hours. The next regular Membership Meeting will be at 1800 hours on 27 February 2020 in accordance with the Post Constitution and By-Laws.
Prepared By: Approved By:
J. T. O'Brien M. E. Frease