THE AMERICAN LEGION
WAYNE E. MARCHAND POST 28
KITANAKAGUSKU-SON, OKINAWA, JAPAN 901-2316
MINUTES OF THE GENERAL MEMBERSHIP MEETING – 25 OCTOBER 2018
Before the meeting was called to order the Camp Foster and Kadena Airbase VA representative, Melody Pyles, introduced herself to the Post.
Commander Cathey called the General Membership Meeting of Wayne E. Marchand Post #28, Department of the Philippines, to order at 1806 hours in the Post Home.
The following Post Officers were absent from the meeting and were excused by Commander Cathey: 2nd Vice Commander and Finance Officer, Comrade O'Brien; Historian, Comrade Clemons; and Executive Committeeman, Comrade Meinhart.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS:
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES:
The Minutes of the October 2018 Executive Committee and September 2018 Membership Meetings were available for review and there being no additions, deletions or corrections to the September Membership Meeting, they stood as read.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Comrade Morrow reported the following:
(1) The total for Membership Year 2019 is 198, broken down as follows: PUFL – 82; New - 43; Renewals – 72 and Transfers-in - 1.
(2) There are 5 new applicants to be voted on and if approved the Post Membership for 2019 will be 203.
HOUSE COMMITTEE: No Report.
FINANCE COMMITTEE: Commander Cathey reported the following:
(1) The Post and Canteen Financial Statements were available for review.
POST SERVICES OFFICER: Comrade Barnes reported the following:
(1) Comrade Barnes is currently working 7 disability claims and has closed one.
(2) Comrade "Papi" Links is doing well in assisted care.
(3) Comrade Barnes represented the Post at the Retiree Seminar. As well, Comrade Barnes obtained several handouts with knowledge about retiring from the military. They are available in the canteen.
HISTORIAN/CHILDREN/YOUTH: Comrade Clemons reported the following:
(1) The AmerAsian School Christmas party will go on the 15th of December at Camp Shields. If any post members with children would like to attend please inform Commander Cathey so we may add them to the toy list to receive a gift.
AMERICANISM: No Report.
BALLOTING OF APPLICATIONS: Comrade Morrow read the names of the new applicants:
(1) There were 5 new applicants to be voted on. Comrade Barnes made a motion to accept the applicants as read. The motion was seconded by Comrade Beaucage and passed unanimously. There were no applicants present and sworn in by Commander Cathey.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS: Commander Cathey reported the following:
(1) The Executive Committee made a motion to fund $5000.00 to purchase a new stand up refrigerator behind the bar.
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: No Report.
NEW BUSINESS AND CORRESPONDENCE: Commander Cathey reported the following.
(1) The National Commander will be visiting December 12-16. The Post will hold a social in the canteen on December 14 at 1700, all members are invited.
(2) Comrade Ramirez from the Legion Softball team presented a first place trophy to Commander Cathey won during a recent tournament.
GOOD OF THE AMERICAN LEGION: Commander Cathey reported the following:
(1) Clean up at the International Cemetery will take place on Sunday, 26 August 2018. Anyone desiring to participate, please meet in the parking lot at 0900 hours.
(2) The Widows Fund Donation was $95.00. The winner of the fund opted to donate his share back to the fund.
(3) Next month the Post will not hold a membership meeting. Instead, the Post will host a turkey dinner on 22 November starting at 1200.
(4) Starting next month the Post will have a small truck available for use to current members. It will be available for any moving needs members may have.
Since no further business came before this Committee, Commander Cathey adjourned the meeting at 1816 hours. The next regular Membership Meeting will be at 1800 hours on 27 December 2018 in accordance with the Post Constitution and By-Laws.
Prepared By: Approved By:
W. E. Morrow C. H. Cathey Jr.