THE AMERICAN LEGION
WAYNE E. MARCHAND POST 28
KITANAKAGUSKU-SON, OKINAWA, JAPAN 901-2316
MINUTES OF THE MEMBERSHIP MEETING – 28 July 2022
Commander Occomy called the Membership Meeting of Wayne E. Marchand Post OK28, Department of the Philippines, to order at 1800 hours in the Post Home.
The following Post Officers were absent from the meeting and excused by Commander Occomy: Finance John O’Brien, Historian Luke Boggs.
STANDING COMMITTEE REPORTS
EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MINUTES:
The minutes of the 21 July Executive Committee Meeting and 23 June Membership Meeting were available for review and there being no additions, deletions or corrections, they stood as read.
MEMBERSHIP COMMITTEE: Adjutant Holguin reported the following:
(1) The total Membership for 2023 is 121, broken down as follows: PUFL - 77; NEW - 0; RE-NEW – 30; ON-LINE – 14 TRANSFER-IN – 0
(2) There were 8 new applicants voted on at this meeting bringing our 2023 Post Membership total to 129.
HOUSE COMMITTEE: 2nd Vice Commander Cathey reported the following: Nothing Significant to Report (NSTR).
FINANCE COMMITTEE: Commander Occomy reported the following:
The Financial statements were in the folders and available for review.
POST SERVICES OFFICER: Comrade Kozlesky reported the following:
(1) The Service Officers report is posted on the Canteen Information board.
(2) Contacted 3 Distressed Comrades (Health and Welfare checks): Pappy Links/Kelley Anderson/Howard Schell. (Note: Everything all good)
(3) Assisted 4 Service persons in processing VA/BDD claims. Total Time 5 hours in direct support.
(4) USNH provided the following link in scheduling COVID19 Vaccines.
(5) FMP (Foreign Medical program) Health benefits for veterans travelling overseas and or residing overseas can apply for benefits if they have a service-connected disability https://Youtu.be/eY6zyRRhk8E
(6) BDD (VA benefits Delivery at Pre-Discharge Program) between 180 and 90 days prior to Separation https//www.va.gov/disability/how-to-file-claim/
VA office in Korea: DSN 757-2914; CML 050-3357-2914 KoreaBDD.vbapit@gov
BALLOTING OF APPLICATIONS: Adjutant Holguin read the names of the 8 new applicants:
Comrade Tafoya made a motion to accept the applicants, seconded by Comrade Linker; passed unanimously.
BUILDING AND GROUNDS: NSTR
UNFINISHED BUSINESS: Commander Occomy reported the following:
Comrade Tafoya and Comrade Cathey are currently chairing the Office Renovation project.
Current project includes replacing the flooring in the office area, purchase and installation of a TV, a zoom account, WIFI upgrades for the American Legion, new display cabinet for sale items and trophy stand, new computer for members use, new frames for photos, new bulletin board, improved traction for exterior stairs, kitchen renovation, updated Preamble poster, repair of current podium top, and a portable podium with the American Legion logo/emblem for events, improve design of the flag stand, and a dry erase board for the Commander’s office.
NEW BUSINESS AND CORRESPONDENCE: Commander Occomy reported the following:
National Commander is tentatively scheduled to visit Okinawa 12-14 December 2022.
GOOD OF THE AMERICAN LEGION: Commander Occomy reported the following:
(1) Upcoming significant events: Veteran’s Day Ceremony on 11 November at 1100 in the Canteen.
(2) There was $55 donated to the widow’s fund; winner donated back to the fund.
(3) The Tomari International Cemetery clean-up will tentatively take place on Sunday, 31 July 2022. If anyone is interested in participating, please meet at the Tomari International Cemetery at 0900 hours.
Since no further business came before this Membership meeting, Commander Occomy adjourned the meeting at 1821 hours. The next Membership Meeting will be 1800 hours on 25 August 2022 in accordance with the Post Constitution and By-Laws.
Prepared By: Approved By:
G.R. Holguin L. T. Occomy